In my development class, we've been talking lately about the elderly and their characteristics. I've learned many things that make me hopeful about the way I age and will one day share my acquired wisdom as they do. Erik Erikson discusses generativity, which "involves reaching out to others in ways that give to and guide the next generation," (Berk, 2007, p. 530). Although this starts in midlife, adults continue this tradition as they age. Unfortunately, although the elderly have acquired a vast wealth of knowledge, some people stereotype the aged in negative ways. "Like gender stereotypes, age stereotypes often operate automatically, without awareness; people "see" elders in stereotypical ways even when they appear otherwise," (Berk, 2007, p. 572). When people believe the stereotypes, they forget to treat older people as human, immediately assuming that they can't do things for themselves, leading to an "other"-fulfilling prophecy.
When I read this, I wrote this poem. I hope you like it. Anybody who knows me knows that I am a passionate person, and I felt that I had to share my feelings with others.
"Who you callin' Old?"
Don't call me old, or I will be.
Don't talk as if I can't hear, or I won't hear you.
Don't act as if I can't see, or I won't see you.
Don't pepper my food as if I can't taste, or I won't like to chew.
Don't patronize me, or I'll justify it.
Don't baby me, or I'll need a stroller.
Don't act as if I'm stupid, or I will be.
Just curious--how do you want to be treated when you're older?
I'm a person, you know it, who deserves respect.
I'm not a person to look down upon.
Love and appreciate me, don't you dare neglect.
I've learned many things since my life began its dawn.
I'm your mother, your father, your sister, your brother.
I've give you love, please give it back.
With patience, encouragement, and understanding
You will find there's nothing that I lack!
The circle of life is a ring of beauty
In its completion from infant to grown.
Respecting this circle is each person's duty,
Sharing a love that everyday should be shown.
So my child, remember these words
As you bound through life in the best shape ever.
The nature of sharing is of utmost importance.
"Laugh often, love much," and be an encouragement giver.
*Quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thank you for listening! ^_^
Factual information from
Berk, L.E. (2007). Development Through the Lifespan. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment