Friday, November 14, 2008

God is not a crutch!

He is so much more than that! God gets us through everything. I'm reading this book, "Darkness is my Only Companion," which is about the struggle of a woman with Bipolar Disorder. Anyone who knows about Bipolar Disorder knows that this struggle is intense. It's not just the transition from manic--excessive energy, irritability, lack of ability to sleep, to depressive--lack of energy, feeling pain. The pills people have to take make it difficult, going through the symptoms. I am so grateful for these people who have improved upon the medication that people with Bipolar Disorder have to take, and yet it is still far from easy. Although I do not know this personally, I feel with this woman in her book, and I encourage counselors, therapists, and people with Bipolar Disorder to read this book.
Why is the title of this blog "God is not a crutch!"? So many people that don't understand Christianity think of God that way. God is love that people do not understand, which is one of the reasons He is so beautiful. Any difficulty I have in my life can be maintained, even if it ends in death, because that is not the final end. I want people to know that God is there.
This book is also important, though, because the author, Kathryn Greene-McCreight, is candid about her thoughts and feelings toward those "comforting" Bible verses. Although they are comforting, pain does not go away just because you understand pain. I used to think you could explain away anything, but I was naive. I am less naive now, after experiencing other people's suffering. I still have a lot to learn, but I do know that anything difficult I have or will experienced would be a million times worse without the presence of God in my life. I know that not everybody will read and believe in God, but He extends His love to all who will take it. Thank you, God for loving me, wrapping your arms around me, and giving me hope that I will be with you someday. In the meantime, I am here to do your work and encourage others, hopefully bringing them to you as well.

No comments: