So at my practicum yesterday, we made cookies. It was fun. ^_^ Some of the kids had never made cookies before, so that was cool, too. I gave them the recipe for sugar cookies...minus sugar. They had no idea, at least until they took the first bite of their cookies. I had everybody take a bite at the same time, and their reaction was priceless!! I wish I had taken pictures. They all went "EW" and "GAG" all at the same time. It was great!!
The point is, every ingredient in cookies is necessary. When the cookie misses the sugar, the cookie becomes a weird kind of biscuit. We talked about the role of members in families, how missing the sugar was a negative choice, and how positive and negative choices affect the family. It was special. Some of the kids shared more than they usually do.
I think it will take time before I am a more competent group leader, but I cherish every mistake i get to make along the way. I love being at this place!! The kids are beautiful in so many ways. God knew what He was doing when He put me here. I have so much to learn, but I'm having a great time in the process.
These people, especially the staff, are angels.
by the way, one of the kids eats everything in his path, so he ate 4 of the "cookies" himself! That was fun. Gave the kids a laugh, too. my next group is next Thursday. We'll see how it goes!!
Love to all! ^_^
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
What a great illustration for an important lesson. I believe we could use that one in the Bible classroom as well. Thanks, Kristi. And, I know you are doing a fabulous job with the kids.
I think Jesus used a few object lessons to help listeners understand what he was saying too. What a great way to make your point, Kristi! Keep learning and growing! I am proud of you!
Such a great idea! Sounds like you're doing a great job already. :)
The teacher in me is loving your illustration. What a great point you made. Could the same point be made about "Christ" being left out of a "Christ"ian's life, just like the "sugar" was left out of the "sugar" cookie? Just a thought...
So, where are you, exactly? Did I miss something? I'm sure you have been placed through your school and it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Loved the pictures of the surprise baby shower and you are such a good friend to do this.
Post a Comment