Monday, February 19, 2007

Lichi-loos, the kids table, and other family memories...


I really miss you, family!!! I'm really looking forward to Spring Sing weekend because I will be in Searcy, relishing much-needed family time. When random things happen throughout the day, I think about you people a lot more. For instance, the first word in the title of this blog refers to what my sister and I used to call the hairstyle that is fixed at bathtime for kids--how the shampoo magically holds hair up in place. See picture on left. This used to be so much fun!
Secondly, Bryan and I went to the mall the other day, and after a bit of shopping, we had lunch. We thought it odd that the parents, just one set, were sitting at one table while their two kids were sitting at a separate table a little ways away from them. Bryan brought it up, saying that he would think it would be more fun for them to sit and eat as a family, and I said that kids loved having a kids table. Remember our kids table at Christmas time? I know, all you cousins out there are having them with your own families, you being the adults and Joshua, Caleb, Carter, Ashlyn, and Johnathan being the kids. Kalleigh is an "adult" as she cannot do anything by herself except look adorable. We always had the best kids table, though, all 12 of us sitting and laughing. And then, the tables turned. The rules became that once you got married, you were no longer at the kids table. The weirdest one of all--but my favorite, actually--was one where all of the "kids", meaning cousins, got to eat at the adult table with Mamaw and Papaw!! That was fun. Who can know Mamaw and Papaw and not think they are the coolest!!
A third thing that makes me think of (LONG for) home is the weather. It is 20 stinking degrees here--MAX!!!! Don't get me wrong, the snow is absolutely beautiful--just COLD. I'll get used to it eventually. But I long for days of past when I would wear a tee-shirt in th ehouse and then throw on a nice jacket to go outside. Nice thing, though, I can make snow cream anytime I want to. I made it here, people not having heard of it before, and it was a big hit!!!
Well, if any of you lovely people want to leave a memory of hanging out all together with family, I would LOVE it. In the meantime, I'm saying a special prayer tonight for my family. I am so lucky to have such a beautiful family. Love to ALL. ^_^

9 comments:

Deborah said...

What a wonderful thing to read today! Thank you for helping me remember some fun times.

Here's another one--playing mailbox! Remember that? I think Mamaw still keeps her crayons in that same white bucket.

Number two--Papaw's tree-swings and underdoggies!

Number three (of course, this one hasn't changed)--eating YUM-O food!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had forgotten all about playing mailbox! Didn't we always make Kaitlyn deliver everything when she was little? :) Here are a few more:

1) I remember when the garden was still back there, and we would feed the corn husks to the cows.
2) How many times did we play Sorry and Clue???
3) Eating watermelon in the shade behind the house, spitting out the seeds, and being hosed down afterwards. :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, good memories!!

Now that I'm a parent, I understand why we always had to sit in the living room at the "kids" table...sometimes a parent just needs a break!

Anonymous said...

How about the "double lichi-loo"? Now that was style!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing family time is!

Looking forward to Spring Sing weekend!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of memories -- I remember all you kids in the living room, and Aunt Kathy said trying to get food to all of you was like a "shark feeding frenzy." I have laughed and used that phrase often. 12 grandchildren at a long table -- yup! Frenzy!! Oh, but it was soooooo fun and you kids were really good too. I don't remember any of you fussing at all. (Or do I have a short/selective memory??)

Kristi Petrak said...

Thank you SO much!!!! So good to hear all your memories. Love y'all SO much!!! ^_^

Kim Hodges said...

LOL!!! I read your title and thought, "Hmmm ... that sounds embarrassingly familiar!"

I loved everyone's memories! A couple of my favorites are (1) performing shows and selling tickets for a penny and (2) playing/climbing in the barn and finding "secret passages."

I look forward to seeing you at Spring Sing, too!

Amber said...

well I know I'm not family, but I have tons of memories with Kristi, too! How about playing "Mall Madness"? Or what about seeing who could stay up the longest? Singing together? *sigh* Good times, good times!

Oh, Kristi, I had lost your blog for a while. But now I have it again! Yea!!! Um... how was Italy?!!