Friday, June 29, 2007

$3 rentals

These are the movies that are $3 movies. I don't mean that they happen to cost that at the time--it's just that they are best seen as a rental for $3. Some movies dont' work for that. Spiderman needs to be seen in the theater, unless of course you have one of those really cool home entertainment centers with surround sound and a big screen. I don't have that (yet--ha) so I coughed up the $8 to see it at the theater with everybody else. This category includes X-Men, Transformers, Fantastic Four, Independence Day, etc.
The movies I'm talking about are new at the beginning, and so poor unsuspecting souls--most likely young men who have just taken their dates out to some overpriced restaurant--reach deep into their pockets for that precious $16 dollars so the two of them can sit through a movie, only to realize 15 minutes in, "Hey--this movie could have waited a few months, and I would have saved $13." Truthfully, not only would the money have been better spent to see "Fantastic Four" or "Evan Almighty"--can't wait to see that, by the way--but admit it--the poor shlubs who spent $13 extra bucks probably spent $10 more to get drinks--maybe just one--and candy for their dates, even though for dinner they just had a salad and diet coke. Irony rears its ugly head in the dating scene once again.
What inspired this blog? I just watched "Music and Lyrics." I hope I'm not offending anybody who liked this movie, it's just that after seeing masterpieces that shake my core, "Music and Lyrics" left me cold. Don't get me wrong--it's cute. It's romantic. I said, "Awwwww" at the appropriate times. I am glad, however, that when I was at the theater a few months ago I watched "Bridge to Terabithia" instead. That was one of those "worth-it" $8 movies. For those who didn't see it, maybe you can still catch it at a dollar theater. I hope you can--it's great.
This category also is related to the "Wal-Mart Bin" category. How many times have you seen movies for $5.50 and said, "I should buy it--it's only $5!" a good example of this is "The Bachelor." I LOVE this movie, but it lives in the bin and is often sold at stores for $5. Why is this? It has become one of those movies that people don't talk about anymore because it didn't shake anybody to their core. People will talk about "A Few Good Men" forever because of the line (say it with me now....)
"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" It's the same reason people won't forget "Forrest Gump" or "The Shawshank Redemption." How many spoofs have you seen of people standing in the rain with their arms spread out wide? It's one of the best scenes from the movie.
Myabe that's a mark of a good movie--people making fun of it--or at least it's a mark of a movie that makes an impression.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to see Music and Lyrics...but not I'm glad I didn't go to the theater to see it. Did you see "Because I said So"? Another one I have thought I would like to see, but didn't at the theater. I enjoyed "Evan Almighty" but don't expect it to be a shake you to the core movie. I seriously enjoyed "The Holiday" when I rented it. I'm pretty much of a wimp when it comes to intense movies. Pirates of the Caribbean is about as fierce as I can take, and yes Kevin has drug me to all three of those! Yes, I know it's a Disney ride, but yikes, those dudes are creepy! Kevin has also drug me to see the Die Hard movies. We haven't seen the latest though, but I suspect I will. I will exit the movie needing a massage and a benedryl to sleep! :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. I sound like such a sissy! AK

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm with Aunt Kathy about a lot of movies! :) Mike says I like only animated movies --- and he's pretty much right, but I LOVE the Pirates movies, Die Hard series, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc., etc.

Anonymous said...

I have been told by several people that "you NEED to see Music and Lyrics" but haven't rented it yet. Perhaps I will watch it this week, but I won't expect it to "rock my world" or anything like that! Like my sisters, I need a nice happy ending!

Amber said...

I really enjoyed Music and Lyrics! But I AM glad that I rented it, instead of seeing it in the theater!

Kim Hodges said...

John and I PPV's M&L. Glad we saw it, but yes, glad we didn't pay full price for it. John and some of his guy friends went to see the latest Die Hard. He said it was a definite theater movie! I was glad he got to see it. :)