Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm home!




It is so good to be here. I know I'm here because of a deeply sad event, Papaw and his cancer, but I must say that I am so relieved to see my family. I have gotten my family cup filled already, and it's only MONDAY. I still have one week to fit in as much family as I can. So far I've seen Mom, Aunt Donna, Mamaw, Papaw, Kreg, Keleigh, Tara, I finally got to meet Peter, and I get to see Rachel, Casey, and Abby tomorrow. Yea!
On the down side, a difficult thing is to see Papaw's face. He is in pain, and I wish I could take it away. He is no longer on a morphine drip--they give him morphine orally and in liquid form, when he asks for it. Earlier today, the nurse asked him on a scale from 1-10 where his pain was, and he said 5-6. Tara and I decided that a 5-6 for him is about a 9-10 for most people. We can't take away his pain like we wish, but we can make him smile, on occasion. He has the best smile, just the way Great-Grandma Curtis used to. Laura Reeder came over and made him smile today, and I just had to put this picture up.
I'm missing school for a coupla days too, so I'm working on a paper while I'm here too, but I'm definitely not skipping out on family to do that. The less I soak them up while I'm here, the more I have to miss them until I come home again in May!! Dumb airline prices.
So here I am, soaking up as much Curtis clan as possible. I love us so much!! One of my favorite parts of this time was being able to sing with Aunt Donna and Mom 2 days in a row: fun songs with Mom while she was on the piano on Saturday night, and great church songs the next day at church. We even sang "Victory In Jesus" at night church. That was special. Here's to a great man and a great woman who got together, not knowing that they would raise 4 God-fearing children, 12 God-fearing grandchildren, and 13 (some on the way) great-grandchildren! ^_^ What a crew.

1 comment:

Kim Hodges said...

I'm so glad you can be there. I wish I could, too!