This topic has been on my mind lately, especially, as I am a server. I'm becoming a much better one than I was at first. I'm learning that when I do a good job I make good or bad tips. When I don't do as well, I make good or bad tips. These poor people just don't know, or they know but tip badly anyway. If you are one of these two, I hope this blog will help you work out of being one of these. Did you know that most servers make around $2.50/hour? They make their money from tips and in theory should make as much as everybody else by the time they are tipped what they ought. Do your server a favor. If she/he does a good job, let her know--financially. I add this word because there have been several tables that said, "Kristi, you're a GREAT server" and then left me $2.00 for a $50 check on the table. I should have been tipped at least $10 in this case--%15. Some people leave %20, which makes me really happy. Don't get me wrong--I am not a greedy person, but I would just rather not do the work for a $60 check and receive $3.50. I do a lot of stuff!
Oh, and one more thing about tipping. I love it when people use coupons. I think that's great and people should take full advantage of them. However, customers are technically supposed to tip %15 off of the full amount before the discount, not off of the discounted price. I feel bad for servers who get gypped on this part.
Okay, so that's it. Be kind to your servers. Now if they don't do a good job, don't reward them for a job done badly--that's not fair for you to have to give people money for not bringing you extra drinks or things on time, but if they do well, they should know by the extra green they get from the table.
Okay, I know people will take what I said with a grain of salt, but just thank the server who filled and cleaned the salt caddy and put it (lovingly) on your table. ^_^
Love to all! ^_^
Friday, March 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We're 20%-ers when our server is good. We figure they need it worse than we do. :) I'd love to have you as a server, Kristi! I know you put your heart into it!
I feel your pain! I hated waiting tables, and I am now always overly conscious of the tip we leave. I hope you and Bryan are doing well!
That's a great reminder, Kristi. I became a better tipper after working as a waitress one summer in high school -- and then was reminded when you worked at Ryans.
Kristi, I feel that servers should be paid a better wage and not have to depend on tips. If I'm at a full service restaurant, I don't mind tipping for good service...but at a place like Ryan's or other "serve yourself" buffets, where all the server does is bring the drinks, I feel that tipping should be optional. After all, servers at those places do very little for the customer. I've seen you work...and I know you work hard...and when that happens, I give the tip directly to the server rather than leaving it on the table.
Post a Comment